Subscribe to Categories

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1 by Captainmoomoo
I know this plugin utilizes RSS Feed to keep users informed; is it possible to have a user subscribe to a category? That way, when there is a new entry, all users who are subscribed to this category will get an email that a new entry has been posted; rather than having to check the index everyday.

The people using the website I'm building don't know anything about the RSS feature; emailing them updates would be a better option for them. Thanks again for any information that may help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #2 by geoffc
Replied by geoffc on topic Subscribe to Categories
This is probably not something that is written quickly.

Thinking about it there are a few changes required. There would be changes required in the table structures to retain the subscription addresses and the the profile screen would need to be modified to allow the users to subscribe/unsubscibe to the various categories. This would be mandatory in some parts of teh world. Then there is the email sending routines as well. Presumably there would also need to be some control of the 'email template' and the message contained there in, that would also have to be written especially if such a feature were to be generally useful to different sites. For a specific one off this might be simplified. Nothing too difficult but a little time consuming to implement.

Realistically I estimate this is about two weeks of dedicated time required to add the feature, which as you mentioned sort of duplicates the 'RSS' feed feature.

There is a small downside to this in that the users would perhaps not visit the site quite so often, since they may rely on the 'emails' which are possibly not always 100% accurately delivered for various reasons. This would possibly reduce site visitors, which may be an important consideration depending upon the nature of the site business.

As a 'free' feature it is something that should perhaps be best added to the component suggestion list, given that we have a few other activities to complete first. That is not to say it is not something we wish to implement just that we have to balance limited resources.

We will give it some more thought.

Regards
Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captainmoomoo

7 years 10 months ago #3 by Captainmoomoo
Thank you for your thorough reply, I appreciate the transparency. You mentioned adding this to the component suggestion list, is this something I need to do, or is this something you add on your end? I believe the company I'm creating the website for is okay with not having this feature when we go live, but would be a nice addition later down the road (or if another plugin is able to work with Rialto).

7 years 10 months ago #4 by geoffc
Replied by geoffc on topic Subscribe to Categories
I have added it to the suggestion list.
I think that it is very unlikely that you would find another plugin that would work with Rialto to do this.

I think the way to do it is to add a link table between the categories and user tables, which should scale well as well. More to consider yet..

Regards
Geoff

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by chrisc
Replied by chrisc on topic Subscribe to Categories
Implemented in release 1.3.0 which has just been released.

Regards

If you are using our extensions please leave a review at the JED: IP Mapping | Issue Tracker | JAudit | Password Control

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #6 by Captainmoomoo
Tried posting a reply earlier, the forums kicked me out saying my IP Address is behaving like an undesirable visitor, might be because I was trying to post my error in code tags that I'm getting using the new mail subscription.

When I select one or more categories (in profile) and save, I get a 1054 error, unknown column 'categories' in 'field list' SQL=UPDATE 'jdp_rialto_users'...

Sent from my mobile phone.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Go To Top

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries